BACKGROUND on SALIDA / BUENA VISTA HEART OF THE ROCKIES
There are more 14,000 Thousand foot peaks (14teeners) in Chaffee County than any other County in North America.
- The Heart of the Rockies are at the Headwaters of the Arkansas, Rio Grande and Colorado Rivers. Chaffee county contains 2 scenic mining and old Railroad towns, Salida & Buena Vista. Both of which have a thriving summer time rafting economy on the Arkansas River.
- 3 National Forests and 3 Colorado counties converge on the Continental Divide above Salida.
- This area is virtually unknown to the public.
- The Continental Divide Trail (CDT) at Monarch Pass is the only section of the CDT open to Motorcycles. The CDT spans the entire Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico.
- There are 100s of miles of challenging Singletrack in the vicinity. Malcolm Smith has a house in Buena Vista. These 3 National Forests were Malcolm’s ‘Secret’ riding area for years. There are 1000s of miles of 2 track. Multiple mountain passes.
- We have many dual sport loops GPS’d of 100, 150, 200 & 300 miles. Multiple Singletrack loops of 50 to 100 miles. All the Singletrack is challenging. Dual Sport loops that can be challenging.
- Rocky Mountain Jeep Rentals also has a multitude of routes available for Jeeps from scenic to extreme.
The Continental Divide from the San Isabel Ranger Station in Salida, Colorado
Salida, Colorado is approximately 1 ½ hours West from Colorado Springs and 3 hours Southwest from Denver
Miners in the Rocky Mountains